Bugs item #528697, was opened at 2002-03-11 22:22
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=528697&group_id=22866

Category: JBossCMP
Group: v3.0 Rabbit Hole

Initial Comment:
I have two 2.0 CMP entity beans in a relationship:

ProductBean
ProductLineItemBean

There is a CMR relation between the two (One to
Many). Both beans have a method called
getValueObject() that creates and populates a
JavaBean Value Object that is sent to the client
(servlet in this case). This method is very simple,
just pulling the values using getXXXX() and
returning.

When I call getValueObject() on an instance of the
Product bean, I get the value object as expected
and there is no writing to the database, just the
SELECT to fetch the values.

When I call getValueObject() on the
ProductLineItemBean I can see the SELECT to
populate the VO, then I see an UPDATE statement
for each instance of ProductLineItemBean that is
related to Product (in my test 2). The UPDATE is
setting the foreign key value for the relation to the
ProductBean, though it's using the same value, so
there isn't any actual change.

The getValueObject() method shouldn't be writing
to the database at all.

What happens with a large dataset is that all the
updates create long lag times in the transactions
as many are stalled waiting to do unnecessary
updates while the rows are locked... This makes
the process grind to a screeching halt.

I have a simple EAR that reproduces the problem.