On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Useful, yes... practical... probably not.  With the current system
> configuration this would be difficult to implement and still provide a
> consistent view of the basic configuration attributes.

I don't see this very clearly... Wouldn't be mostly a matter of setting
up more than one MainDeployer, each seeing a different standardjboss.xml
resource?

> It seems like you want to provide an easy way to enable/disable jrmp &
> iiop... it might be better to define some system properties to control
> this.  Perhaps then use a switchable interceptor to handle the
> invocation layer?  This way there is only one set of standard
> configurations which are both rmi and iiop capable depending on the
> value of some set of properties.

Well, multiple server configurations are not strictly necessary.
They could be convenient in some situations, just that.

JBoss already provides ways to switch between JRMP & IIOP. Right now you
can pick one of the following options:

 1) change jboss.xml within your EJB jars, or

 2) (if you do not want to change your EJB jars)
    use a separate JBoss server, whose configuration renders unnecessary
    any changes the jboss.xml files in your EJB jars.

My suggestion aimed at avoiding both the need for changes in your EJB jars
and the need for a separate JBoss server. You "switchable interceptor" hint
sounds interesting, but where the "switch control" would be? If it would be
in the jboss.xml files within your EJB jars, then it buys us nothing.

> Or something... I don't know, but I would not like to see the system
> augmented to support multipule configurations as you show in your example.

I will not try to push my idea on you, as I really do not know how useful it
would be in real scenarios.

Best,

Francisco