Sacha,

this is configuration for JBoss4.0.

The fact is that for *production* the one file is good.

For actually administering and configuring a server the many files is
better, yes, but they are different world, the notion of "locking down" a
server is VERY REAL.  In the admin/configuration category, the persistence
of the configuration above and beyond the current xml is not done right now
the fact that it is mixed with the creation is a weakness we are carrying
over from the 2.0 days.

One step at a time, when we finalize 3.x releases i.e. in a couple of weeks,
I say we move on 4.0 development and the overhaul of the admin with
persistence through the modelmbeans will require some tweaking of the
XMBeans (I believe the current implementation lacks) where you put your own
persistence in there.  There are some ideas as to how to make the the
persistence transparent and distributed in the MMBeans.  That is the way to
go and that is where we should think.  The "readers" of the centralized file
are aware of what they are monitoring.  A given EJB persistence (one of the
ideas) would know that it is monitoring changes in that particular
configuration for that bean, and it can also come with some knowledge of
that format so you don't need to go with the "bare XML".  That will enable
you to provide defaults for example so you can override say the JCA
configuration of datasources and just specify the bare minimum.

I repeat that this discussion is premature.  At this point we are running on
empty when it comes to user feedback as the limits of the current system are
not known by the users we are guessing based on our abilities, this always
fails.  We see them, we think about them but we need the user.  Time to put
it out and let the users say "this would be good" "that would be good".
Wait for more datapoint to come to our group and then we will sit down and
think about JBoss4.0 configuration.

We will make the new app-server generation easy to use, I will prove it.
Being Admin friendly is the key to success.  Don't forget that.

marcf