On Sun, 26 May 2002, Matthew Tippett wrote:

> Technically speaking the docset is not 'too big', it is simply causes
> too many native threads to be created for most 'default' Linux
> distributions.
>
> Run the sample program and you should with a Linux 2.4 system get around
> 220ish threads.  The options without the change are as follows.
>
>       o Use build.compiler=classic (which kicks the JVM into green
>               threads which doesn't have a 'real' thread limit.

Not a real option, as some VMs (the newer ones) don't support green
threads.

>       o Set ulimit -u to greater around 1024

Yes, this worked fine for me. Thanks!

>       o Modify /etc/security/limits.conf and nprocs to something
>               around 1024

In my system (Debian Woody) /etc/security/limits.conf is essentially
empty (only has commented out example entries), so I guess this is
the reason `ulimit -u 1024' worked for me without any change to
limits.conf.

> So the 'fix' is a workaround.  (Probably is the best solution for the
> moment, but it isn't a bug in the code, more so a configuration problem
> in the standard configuration of Linux distributions.
>
> Just thought people might be interested (I spent about 2 hours
> attempting to get my first CVS build running when I came across this
> problem :).

This sounds like an argument for the fix/workaround/whatever.
It shouldn't be this hard to build and run the CVS code!
(Yesterday I had just a couple of hours for some JBoss hacking
and also spent them on the xdoclet error...)

Cheers,

Francisco