No go, Neale,

      [java] 2002-07-01 04:07:53 - Exception initializing
TldLocationsCache: XML parsing error on file /WEB-INF/web.xml: (line 3,
col -1): Document root element is missing.

I have this at the top of the web.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
<!DOCTYPE project [<!ENTITY jsp_servlets SYSTEM "jsp_servlets.xml">
%jsp_servlets;]>

Should I only have one DOCTYPE directive ?

I'll stick with using ant's replace for the moment - it works fine for
this....

Thanks for the help,

Jules