> I've thought about doing this in some of the other
> architectures I've written from time to time.  It's possible
> to keep an eye on memory usage and track its stats over time,
> so you can know when memory's becoming scarce and start
> telling different parts of the system "Memory's tight.  Can
> you do what you can do to lighten the load?"  That wasn't all
> that hard to do- every time this architecture deployed a
> "job" to run, it kept a handle to them and would
> asynchronously call a method on them that contained "best
> effort" code to lighten up the load and call the GC.  That
> works fine when you just know that you're using more and more
> memory and just want to politely ask deployed code to attempt
> to help out.

Rhet,

LOL, do you realize how dumb this is??? You are saying that in the
hosted environment, when one module is a hog, the system asks "politely"
for the other well behaved parts, to "please let go of some memory,
cause the hog over there wants some"... Dude, you were sleeping when you
wrote this.  I'll sue you if you commit this to our tree :)

Marcf

PS: for your own application it was probably fine