I think we need an additional kind of dependency:

<requires [optional-attribute-name="Something"]>some.domain:service=doIt</requires>

This prevents create from being called until the other mbean is started.

The new create step creates the mbean, registers it, and calls the create
method.  If there are only "depends" dependencies, this step proceeds.  If
there are "requires" dependencies, it waits before even creating the mbean.

The start method can be called at any time but does nothing until all
"depends" mbeans are started. Whenever a mbean gets to "started", the lists
of waiting mbeans have create (for "requires") or start (for "depends")
called on them.

I think DeploymentInfo should also be an mbean that participates in the
dependency management, so you can use "requires" to make a package deploy
completely before another starts deploying.  A top level depends or
requires tag can be used in *-service.xml or other jboss specific dd's to
make this ordering available to all packages.

Thanks
david