Well, I'd like to work on it, like, now, since I need some parts of this to
make xsl based deployments work better.

I think it will be workable only for xmbeans or other model mbeans.

Steps I forsee:

1. Make mbean interceptor stacks generated by other interceptor stack
factory mbeans; interceptor instances generated by interceptor factory
mbeans.  There needs to be some boostrap interceptor stacks, perhaps those
for standard mbeans, to get this started.

2. xmbean descriptor specifies desired stack configuration via object name
of stack factory.

2.5?? implement a service lifecycle for mbean interceptors like the one for
ejb interceptors.

3. ejb interceptors are converted to be mbean interceptors.  I think this
mostly involves including a home/remote flag on the invocation.  This might
be useful on arbitrary mbean method calls also-- home calls being handled
by interceptors for the most part.

4. Answer the question of whether interceptors should have state as they do
at present or be statelesss with all state info (including the interceptor
sequence) only in the invocation.

5. convert service lifecycle management to be done by specialized
interceptors.

Both interceptor models we have now answer (4) by having state in the
interceptor.  Maybe its time to try the other way.  I propose having a
"stack context" HashMap held in the head of the stack that the interceptors
can add stack-specific state to, keyed by themselves.

david jencks