Hi,

Scott M Stark wrote:
> Why do we have to work around driver bugs at the transaction manager
> level? Why not write the TM the way we want and start introducing driver
> specific JCA wrappers to deal with these issues?

Makes sense to me.

Then, we wouldn't have to add extra code in the TM code
to work around the multitude of different bugs in the
different drivers.

The downside is that quite a few different JCA wrappers
would be needed for this. For example, just about every
version of the Oracle XA drivers have different bugs.

I'm not that familiar with JCA (still have to read up on
that), but I wonder if it is possible to make stackable
JCA wrappers that each fix one bug.
If that is the case we could write:
a) a JCA wrapper that fixes the "res.end(suspend) followed
   by res.end(success) fails"-bug,
b) a JCA wrapper that fixes bug #585632.
c) a JCA wrapper that fixes the problem some Oracle drivers
   have because they only accept their own Xid
   implementation. This wrapper would eliminate the need
   for the Xid factory in the TM code.

Then the Oracle 8.1.7 driver could be wrapped in (a) and
(b) above.
Oracle 8.1.6 drivers would probably need wrappers (a) and
(c).
And the Sybase jConnect 5.2.1 would need wrapper (a) only.

What do the JCA experts here think about this?

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.