Bugs item #573798, was opened at 2002-06-25 13:02
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=573798&group_id=22866

Category: CatalinaBundle
Group: v3.0 Rabbit Hole

Initial Comment:
org.jboss.net.protocol.URLStreamHandlerFactory
conflicts with
org.apache.naming.resources.DirContextURLStreamHan
dlerFactory, as both jboss and tomcat want to install
theirs with URL.setURLStreamHandlerFactory().  Since
jboss calls it first, it wins.  This makes Tomcat unhappy
resolving URLs when files are nested.  The only example
I have found is that of nested XSL; e.g. I have an XSLT
filter which reads the xsl file using
servletContext.getResource().  The xsl file uses
xsl:include to include another xsl file.  Deep down in the
bowels of xalan, it tries to read the nested file, but
cannot because Tomcat's
DirContextURLStreamHandlerFactory was never
successfully set.
My workaround for this problem is to create
org.jboss.web.catalina.jndi.Handler, which simply
extends
org.apache.naming.resources.DirContextURLStreamHan
dler.  Then in EmbeddedCatalinaServiceSX.initCatalina, I
put code to set the java.protocol.handler.pkgs System
property to have org.jboss.web.catalina in it.  Finally, I
changed catalina's build.xml to have catalina's
common/lib/naming-resources.jar in the classpath.  This
works because the
DirContextURLStreamHandlerFactory itself isn't
necessary -- all it does is create instances of
DirContextURLStreamHandlers.  If Tomcat had named
the former simply 'Handler' and put it in a package
called 'jndi', all the would have been necessary is to set
that package in the java.protocol.handler.pkgs System
property.  Since they didn't, I extended their class... See
the javadocs for java.net.URL and JBosss'
URLStreamHandlerFactory for more background
information.