- You'll probably want to buy some Hardware based HTTP load-balancer for
your web traffic.  Make sure it supports "sticky" sessions.  You can try
Apache + modjk + AJP13 if you want a cheap software solution.  Jetty and
Tomcat can be hooked in.

- Do you require HTTP Session replication and failover?  If its ok for a
user to relogin after a failover, I suggest not using JBoss clustering
features at all, (Except for net boot and maybe farming).

- On the performance tests I ran(ECPERF), replication had a 10% hit on
performance for 2 boxes running in a cluster.  You'll probably have more
than 2 boxes(but not much more).

- I suggest marrying the WEB and EJB layer into one JVM/process.  You'll get
better performance.

- Next what you have to do is guess peak traffic.  Multiply that number by 2
just to be safe.

- Next you'll need to write a stress test program

- Next you'll need to hire JBossGroup to help you out with all of this. :)

- Next you'll need to purchase a high quality support contract from
JBossGroup to iron out any problems you may have :)

At Mercantec we had 2 dual 900mhz CPU running Linux and JBoss, 1 dual 900Mgz
PIII running Oracle.  We could support traffic from 10K merchants.  But
that's our application.  How many users your app can support on a given
piece of hardware is totally dependent on the type of application you're
running.

DON'T USE CLUSTERING UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!

Bill