I'm not yet convinced there is a problem.  I haven't found one xdoclet task
to take an inordinate amount of time (when it is actually doing some work),
even if it needs the -X...640.  This is on a relatively slow (PIII 600 mhz)
low memory (256 mb) machine.  What does take a lot of time is running
xdoclet hundreds of times, as in the testsuite compile.

It does take an annoying amount of time if there are no changed files.

I think we should make a flag file that we can do an uptodate check on to
completely avoid calling xdoclet if no changes have occurred since the last
compile.

david jencks