On 2002.12.14 16:47:48 -0500 wonder sonic wrote:
>  --- David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a
> écrit : > On 2002.12.14 14:01:45 -0500 wonder sonic
> wrote:
> > > Well, it's a sort of answer I really appreciate
> > > (seriously). However, I think it should be
> > detailed.
> > >
> > > -1- Where should those diagrams reside? in the
> > same
> > > directories of the java files or in an other
> > directory
> > > named diagrams (for example).
> > >
> > > -2- AFAIK, only the ones who have designed the
> > > different modules might create the best UML
> > diagrams
> > > (activity, usecase...). I haven't the impertinence
> > > say that I could do that! :)
> > >
> > > -3- A synchronization problem could occur for the
> > > developers who don't have such tools: modification
> > of
> > > the source code whitout modification of the
> > diagrams.
> >
> > I think this is a really serious problem.
> > I also think most developers don't think uml
> > diagrams work very well for the kind of
> > "meta-programming" done in a lot of the server
> > core.
>
> Could you please explain what you mean by
> "meta-programming"?

Basically interceptor based, reflective, or aspect oriented programming
techniques.

Do you think a uml diagram of say a transaction interceptor or a lock
interceptor provides a useful explanation of what it does? I haven't seen
any evidence that it does, but am very open to demonstrations.

> > I haven't tried, but would be happy if
> > this was demonstrated to be wrong.
>
> In most cases, UML diagrams could help to communicate
> new developments design, explain *quickly* the
> dependencies between packages, classes and interfaces,
> show the logic of an algorithm... Moreover, the fact
> that UML is a graphical language reduces the
> explanation of a complex algorithm for example:
> -
> http://www.visualuml.com/Sample%20Diagrams/Fig%209-1%20Activity%20Diagram.jpg
> -
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/f_and_m/html/vxfm7_topleveldiagram.gif
> -
>
>http://www.smartdraw.com/resources/centers/flowcharts/images/flowchart_deployment_example.gif

Personally I have found uml diagrams sometimes useful in organizing my own
thinking but have never been able to communicate any useful ideas using
them.

> > > -4- Perhaps some Together project files could be
> > > added?
> >
> > Who is going to keep them in sync?  Out of date is
> > worse than not there.
>
> Indeed! In fact, we can consider UML diagrams as a
> complement to javadoc. When a development is done,
> javadoc should be synchronized with it, UML diagrams
> should be synchronized the same way.

"Should" covers a lot of territory here.  Our javadocs are mostly missing
and wrong.  I think developers will have to find any such diagram very easy
to create and very helpful in their own development process before you will
find anyone making or updating them.  I suspect this would only take off if
the diagrams were the basis of some kind of code generation, such as done
with uml2ejb.

> The main problem is how can developers update UML
> diagrams? An open source tool would be welcome.

Thus my suggestion of argo (free, open source)/poseidon (commercial version
of the same tool, with free community edition).

> > > -5- I can personnaly create class diagrams for the
> > > JBoss modules. What format shall I use? wmf, gif,
> > > Together (v6)?
> >
> > I suggest xmi using argo/poseidon.
>
> Yes, xmi is a standard for UML diagrams. But they only
> are useful to those who can use them with the right
> tool. I think an image format could be used too for
> those who don't have such tool.

again, argo is completely free and poseidon has a free version.  They are
both pretty lightweight.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

thanks
david jencks