Early in 2.x development we had one module, as you seem to be recommending.
 Personally I still think we would be developing 2.x level features without
the module structure.

Among the many advantages modules give you are the ability to know where a
feature ends, the ability to easily enforce and document limited
dependencies between modules, and the ability to have module-level unit
tests.  We aren't taking very good advantage of most of these, but IMNSHO
the extent we have has made development of jboss 3 and 4  conceivable.

I think most of the problems you mention are due to incomplete
modularization of the original 2.2 or so project.  For instance, just now
am I removing the last extraneous bits of the tm from the server module
(and only in jb4).

The other project I have worked with that has adopted a modularized
structure similar to jboss has experienced similar gains in development
freedom and maintainability.

david jencks