Hey all,

I can see why David was so excited about the new JBoss Remoting framework
that Jeff Haynie and Tom Elrod wrote.  I had dinner with Jeff in Boston last
night and over a few beers he discussed in detail their design and features
the framework provides.  Jeff/Tom, please correct me where I'm wrong here.

Some of the features I remember him discussing:

1. As RMI provides class downloading when the client does not have classes
available, so does the JBoss remoting framework.  The difference is that
JBoss remoting supports multiple protocols.  HTTP, SOAP, Socket based,
etc...

2. Callbacks are supported and abstracted seemlessly.  This will be
especially important to JMS.

3. Management services.  You can query to obtain a whole map of your
network.

4. Find any jboss remoted object by providing a URI or even a query string.

My guess of what needs work:

1. We need to abstract how references are created and marshalled.  i.e., an
EJB method that returns a reference to, or collection of other different
EJBs.  We need to make sure that these references point to the correct
transport layer as they were invoked on.

2. The class downloading protocol seems a bit inefficient.

The cool thing about this framework is that it is being used in production
at Jeff's company so we know this shit must work :)  All and all this is
really gonna be great for 4.0.  I'd really like to commend Jeff and Tom on a
job well done.  I'm looking forward to integrating AOP with this new
framework.

Bill