A protocol is associated with a reference (proxy) factory. My previous
message stressed the protocol (invoker) rather than the proxy factory.
The crucial thing is the reference factory, i.e., whether a remote
reference is a serialized proxy or an IOR.

Suppose method m of bean X returns some EJBObject. Moreover, suppose bean Y
also has a method that returns an EJBObject, which bean Y obtains by calling
m on X.

 - If a non-CORBA (JRMP/HTTP/SOAP/whatever) client written in Java calls
   bean Y to get an EJBObject, it receives a serialized proxy.

 - If a CORBA client (possibly written in C++) performs the same call on
   bean Y, it must receive an IOR.

Serialized proxies give the EJB the freedom to return a serialized proxy
that uses a protocol different from the one used by the current invocation.
There is no such freedom with IIOP. You can still optimize local calls,
but must use IORFactory, the IIOP-specific "proxy factory". (Here I prefer
the more general term "reference factory").

I would expect the same issue to appear for any standardized protocol
that supports non-Java clients. Does it make sense for a Visual Basic
client to get an EJBObject by interacting with an EJB via SOAP? If so
(I don't really know), the EJBObject cannot be a serialized Java proxy.

Cheers,

Francisco