On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:08 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

What is left over is:

org.jboss.cmp (I am guessing this is some of the new cmp framework)

This is our new generic persistence code. Jason can you add a new empty module 'persistence' for us and we'll move the stuff over.

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCUtil (required by org.jboss.cmp, does not depend on org.jboss.ejb)

I'll move this stuff to org.jboss.util in the common package.

I still believe that making the EJB-specific components of JBoss separate from the core system & services is a very, very good idea. It will help keep JBoss a generic framework by forcing developers to keep service and system classes and components separate. It will also help promote the fact that JBoss is not just an EJB container, or rather isn't an EJB container at all... just a generic framework which happens to also provide EJB/J2EE services.

+1

I feel that for the most part, the rest of the server is quite well organized into logical chunks of functionality. It is just this module which is the "kitchen sink" which has been bothering me for quite some time. I do not believe it is just a style issue either. Separation of functionality makes for better software engineering by isolation of similar components, which promotes simpler builds as well as unit and integration testing.

+1 the server module is junk drawer especially org.jboss.ejb.plugins

So, I think we should make the change, but I think it will be best to wait until the unified interceptor work has been completed. Hopefully that will be done by middle of next week, after which I can redo this separation, now that I have discovered all of the interaction points. Once that has been completed and proves functional via the testsuite I think we should move the cmp2 bits to its own home.

We will as soon as we have a persistence module. Well the non EJB specific stuff will be moved to persistence, but a small number of classes will be put in org.jboss.ejb.entity.cmp.

-dain