Unfortunately, all versions of xdoclet (except the one David J fixed) have the same bug - using InputStream.available() to see how many bytes are left in the file.
I'm part way thru getting JBoss 3.0.x to build with Apple's 1.4.1, but I had to migrate HEAD's xdoclet into the source base and fix almost every build.xml to suit.

In retrospect, it's probably simpler to get the version of xdoclet from CVS that we've used here (I think David tagged it), fix it, and use that.

As has been previously mentioned, you can still build with 1.3.1 by setting:

JAVA_HOME= /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home

Steve Coy