I don't think we can support J2EE 1.4 for the DR1 release unless someone gets in and makes whatever changes are required to get our metadata classes to support the XML schemas used in J2EE 1.4.

Besides meta data are there other big things in J2EE 1.4 that we haven't addressed yet?

-dain

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 04:30 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:

What J2EE specification version are you planning to support in JBoss 4.0? J2EE 1.4 is not final as far as I know...

-----Original Message-----
From: marc fleury [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 3:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sourceforge. Net
Subject: [JBoss-dev] JB4DR1 Deadline MAY 26

Guys,

We are thinking a lot about the forthcoming JB4 release.  It
is a truly
exciting step for us as we believe we will bring a programming style,
whose time has come, to a mass audience.

AOP as Bill says is a clear wave for system level services on par with
OOP.  On top of it and also as a proof of how powerful the approach is
we still develop a full J2EE server.  Meaning that you can choose to
live in the J2EE world work on JBoss J2EE and access all the
prepackaged
AOP goodies as you have been doing since JBoss2.0.

There seems to be a lot of fear at SUN from what I can tell in the
press, that we will abandon J2EE.  We love J2EE. When really we will
support J2EE for the forthcoming future.  Never do we talk about
"abandoning" J2EE, we just let the user access core
functionality in the
open server and think at the AOP level.  A more fundamental
construct of
the framework.

The reason we are almost there is that it is also a very old
implementation in JBoss.  We have been doing it for a long time but
never talked/packaged it this way.  We make it easy for you
to leverage
the AOP layer. The implementation is old the way you interact
with JBoss
is new.  It can also be old if you decide to stay at the J2EE level
which will be fully supported.

But you are now invited to roam in the core JBoss system, in fact you
may find it very cozy as you port POJO based applications to JBoss.
There will be a stabilization period though.  We are making an
aggressive push to release JB4 by JavaONE with all our resources
dedicated to implementing the final AOP system aspects and
porting some
of the existing code to that.

We're making an aggressive push to release JBoss 4.0 by
JavaOne.  We're
targeting May 26th. That leaves us 2 month from now.

I REPEAT TARGET FOR JBOSS4.0 DR1 **** MAY 26TH****

To meet this aggressive deadline, we need to set some dates. There will be a functionality freeze, Monday, May 5th. All new functionality commits after May 5th must be approved by either Scott Stark, or Bill Burke. We will not branch May 5th, but instead make the month of May, JBoss 4.0 stability en route to a Developpers Release 1 (DR1).

Please think long and hard and fast about your modules.  Many
of you are
involved in core modules that need to move fast in the coming weeks.
Don't be afraid to talk and say who needs help etc.

PLgC

marcf