Bugs item #762060, was opened at 2003-06-27 12:47
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=762060&group_id=22866

Category: JBossCMP
Group: v3.2

Initial Comment:
From: Gavin Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Read-Ahead Cache & Supports
2003-06-26 16:08

 All,
  I'm upgrading from 3.2.0 to 3.2.2(RC1) and I hit an
incompatibility with
 the new(?) ReadAheadCache implementation and the
finder transaction type.
 Basically if I have a finder with transaction-
type="Supports" and use
 read-ahead-strategy="on-find" then I get the following
exception if I'm
 outside of a transaction:

 14:43:55,968 ERROR [LogInterceptor] RuntimeException:
 java.lang.IllegalStateException: There is no tranaction
associated with the
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.TransactionLocal.getTrans
action(TransactionLo
 cal.java:206)
        at
 org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.TransactionLocal.get
(TransactionLocal.java:11
 8)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.ReadAheadCache$ListCach
e.getCache(ReadAheadCa
 che.java:624)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.ReadAheadCache$ListCach
e.add(ReadAheadCache.j
 ava:570)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.ReadAheadCache.addFinde
rResults(ReadAheadCach
 e.java:114)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCAbstractQueryComma
nd.execute(JDBCAbstract
 QueryCommand.java:207)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCAbstractQueryComma
nd.execute(JDBCAbstract
 QueryCommand.java:91)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCFindEntitiesCommand.
execute(JDBCFindEntit
 iesCommand.java:40)
        at

org.jboss.ejb.plugins.cmp.jdbc.JDBCStoreManager.findEnti
ties(JDBCStoreManage
 r.java:599)
        at
 org.jboss.ejb.plugins.CMPPersistenceManager.findEntities
(CMPPersistenceManag
 er.java:324)
        at

org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.CachedConnection
Interceptor.findEntitie
 s(CachedConnectionInterceptor.java:323)
        at org.jboss.ejb.EntityContainer.findLocal
(EntityContainer.java:604)

  The fix for me is trivial, I can switch to transaction-
type="Required"
 without any issues but I think there is a bug here, the
ReadAheadCache
 should only be used if you're already in a transaction
(the read-ahead cache
 strategy is forcing the transaction-type decision which
seems wrong to me).

 thanks,
 gavin

      From: Scott M Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      Re: Read-Ahead Cache & Supports
      2003-06-26 17:14

 Apparently someone got overzealous in trying to avoid
the worst case
 performance that results when you ask for the read-
ahead optimization
 and do not execute with a transaction to take
advantage of the cached
 data. File a bug report on SF.

 --
 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx