The fact remains that you participated in a JBoss fork.  This shows a
complete lack of commitment to the JBoss project and community.  You have
lost the trust of the JBoss project admins.

> As the author of Jetty, I have helped it be integrated with
> JBoss, JOnAS and
> avalon among other proprietary projects.   I am serving on JSR154 and give
> effort to improve all J2EE containers.   I have worked with and submitted
> bug reports and patches for tomcat.  I frequently consult to competative
> companies.    I believe I have proven that I can deal with such conflicts
> in a professional manner.

Participating in a fork of JBoss is not professional.  You and other Jetty
developers are listed as CVS developers of Elba.

> JBoss has many users and JBG has many clients that they have encouraged
> to use Jetty/JBoss as a stable and supported platform.   JBoss is
> currently
> the best J2EE platform out there and I only wish to continue supporting
> it - and fullfilling the implicit promise made to all JBoss users that
> we will make best efforts to support our contributions.
>
> If you give us back our CVS access - what harm can it be?  If we vandalize
> the code, or become idle for a long period - then remove our access.
> But we only wish to maintain our contributions and support the JBoss
> community.  The only reasons that I can see for removing us is so you
> can make "no jboss developer" marketting claims.

Granting of CVS is a contract of trust between the project admins and
yourself.  You have broken this trust.  You are free to submit patches
through Sourceforge, but you have lost your CVS privilege.

> > 2. More importantly, we have learned that they have forked
> JBoss.  We also
> > believe they are preparing to submit it, or some derivation, to the new
> > Apache Geronimo project which would violate copyright and LGPL.
>  Our proof?
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/elba
>
> I'm not exactly up to speed with the full motivation for Elba,
> but it is not
> for submission to geronimo - nor would the ASF accept it if it
> was offered.

We are contacting ASF to determine what has or has not been submitted.
JBoss Group will protect any infringement on copyright or LGPL.

> The elba CVS is a totally legal fork of the JBoss code, which after recent
> public legal threats is good to know that it can be done if needed.  I
> do know it was motivated by removing a private trademarc from an open
> code base.

Trademark, copyright, and LGPL(or similar license) are all an open-source
project has to protect itself from becoming closed source and proprietary.
JBoss Group firmly believes in the spirit of LGPL and will protect against
any violation.

> But whatever, it's got nothing to do with JBoss nor my continuing desire
> to support the project.
>

>  > 1. These individuals have refused to discuss design issues on
> our public
>  > forums.  It is crucial to have a public record of design
> discussions so that
>  > others may particpate in future work.
>
> I have always been willing to discuss issues on jboss-dev.  I, Jan, David,
> Jeremy, Hiram and others have all posted to this forum recently - although
> several such posts were censored.

The forums on www.jboss.org have been the designated place for design
discussions since their inception over a year ago.  You and your friends
know this and yet made a public statement saying you would not participate
in these forums.  The jboss-dev list is meant only for general
announcements, recruiting, and high level, random discussions.

> Besides, even if we have done something to warrent our removal
> from current
> committers, we should not have been removed from the contributors page.

We have not removed any author tags from any file within our CVS.

Bill