Stefan Arentz wrote:

On Nov 26, 2003, at 3:57 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

Yes, but in EJB QL/JBOSS QL you can only select one item, so group by is useless.

I forgot to add a unique primary key to the example below. Which is what you typically select on.

Aaaaanyway, if you think GROUP BY is useless, how would I do the query that I posted earlier? Select *all* records and then filter in my session facade? That would be pretty lame as it is really a DB job.

Seems to me, that with EJB QL, you can only select a particular Entity, or a field of a particular entity. So, you cannot select *all*.

Most app server vendors solved this by either adding GROUP BY as a EJB-QL extension or allowing real SQL in ejbSelect methods. JBoss has neither so I am not sure how to solve this at the moment.

Hopefully our future integration of CMP on top of Hibernate will provide this sort of solution. But, if you want to do this work, we would be really happy to have it!!!!!

Bill

S.

-- ================ Bill Burke Chief Architect JBoss Group LLC. ================