Pardon my negligence with JCA, but I think that the
added benefit of the proposed mechanism releases the
developer from the responsibility to manually worry
about closing sessions. Reduces the need for these
pesky try/catch/finally.

Since the Hibernate session is on top of a DataSource,
which is hopefully pooled, there is no need to pool
sessions.

Does this make sense, or I missed your point?

Ivelin