Bugs item #890030, was opened at 2004-02-03 22:52
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=890030&group_id=22866

Category: JBossMQ
Group: v3.2

Initial Comment:
The class
org.jboss.mq.server.SimpleTimer
causes two resource problems.

1) The SimpleTimer extends Thread.
This means that unless the thread is actually started,
its reference in its threadgroup is never cleaned up.
This only happens when the thread exits, so not
starting the
thread causes a memory leak.
This also confuses the thread count within the VM which
counts the number of Thread objects that haven't exited.
It should implement Runnable.

2) We cannot have one thread per queue/topic subscription.
It simply will not scale. e.g. if a topic has 100
subscriptions
that would mean 100 threads.

The implementation needs to be changed to use a thread pool
with events as Runnables. A single thread can monitor
when the next event is due.

See for example the TimerTask in the common project
or the RunnableScheduler in the jmx project.
The TimerTask seems more appropriate since the events
only need to happen once.

In my experience, the other option java.util.Timer does not
behave efficiently under stress.

Regards,
Adrian