"rkadayam" wrote : Before posing my main questions.

  | I noticed an "AdviceFactory" and "InterceptorFactory" in the api docs. My
understanding would be advices are methods of aspects and interceptors are individual
classes that pretty much do all of the advising, correct?

Correct.

"rkadayam" wrote :
  | I'm hoping  the concept of "interceptor classes" will not disappear someday to be
replaced by "aspect" classes, correct? Because AspectWerkz 0.10 RC1 did just that,
they are more closer to attributes than declarative syntax of advices (or
interceptors).

No, it will not go away for a few reasons.  One, the framework depends on it for
things like CFlow and interceptors are a tiny bit faster than advices.

"rkadayam" wrote :
  | Now to do some justice to the subject message.
  |
  | Has anyone given any thought to "persisting" the changes that are applied on  the
AspectManager during run-time? It would be really nice if I can generate the aop-xml
file again. This could be done during the shutdown or something to either overwrite
the existing xml or write back to a new file.

This is an ongoing issue with the entire JBoss application server.  If you are
familiar with our application server and JMX, you notice that changes you make at
runtime cannot be reflected in the XML deployment descriptors.  This would be hard to
implement and change.

What about writing your own deployer?  The deployer could persist bindings and load
them at runtime.  Take a look at jboss-head/aspects/src/main/org/jboss/aop/deployer
for an example.

"rkadayam" wrote :
  | Also is the xml file read once during startup or is it constantly monitored at
run-time? Can I start without any aop-xml file and supply the xml contents at
run-time? Can I have multiple aop-xml files?

  | Sorry for being so inquisitive. Thanks for your time.
  | Rajiv

Inquisitive is good!

Ok, hot deployment is only available when running inside the application server.  You
can run a stripped down version of the application server (this is our microkernel),
but standalone JBoss AOP does not support hot deployment of XML files.

So, running inside application server
XML files put in the deploy directory are monitored at runtime.  If you modify them,
then they will hot deployed and advice/interceptors will be rebound.  This should be a
threadsafe operation.  Also, if you package up your aspects within a foobar.aop jar
file and put jboss-aop.xml in the META-INF directory, you can also hotdeploy these
files.

Sounds like you are building some tools?  If you have anything interesting, send it to
me offline ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and if it is any good, I'll give you CVS access.

Bill

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3828443#3828443

Reply to the post :