AFAIK the .classpath and .project files used by eclipse are kind of just meant to be
guidelines (since for almost everything I've looked at in JBoss I've needed to make
some minor modifications).

If I have understood you correctly, you should open the jbmail project properties in
Eclipse and select the Libraries tab. Delete the JRE System Library and press the Add
Library button. Select JRE System Library, and make sure you point to a 1.4.2 JRE (or
create a new entry for JDK 1.4.2).

Hopefully that will solve your problem.

Cheers,

Kab