Bugs item #1003359, was opened at 2004-08-04 18:49
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by loubyansky
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=1003359&group_id=22866

Category: JBossCMP
Group: v3.2

Initial Comment:
We have a good deal of CMP 2.x entity beans that manage
their own blobs, through a BlobCache we implemented.
The blob is stored in the database when ejbStore() is
called on the bean-instance.

Today we moved from 3.2.3 to 3.2.5, and realized that
ejbStore() was not called when only the blob field was
updated. If we updated a CMP or CMR field, ejbStore()
was called, and everything was fine.

I tracked this down to a change in JDBCEntityBridge,
where the method isModified(EntityEnterpriseContext)
was added after 3.2.3. This method checks all CMP and
CMR fields and checks if they are dirty or not. In
3.2.3 the calling method just checked if the instance
was created. This change lead to our problem as we had
not updated any CMP or CMR fields. I made a quick
change back to the way 3.2.3 functioned, and we are
fine again.

According to the spec ejbStore() should always be
called at the end of the transaction, so I'm reporting
this as a bug. A good solution for us would be to
implement the flag call-ejb-store-on-clean in 3.2.x, so
we can control the behavior this way. Generally the
optimization is nice and helps speed up things quite a
bit, but it should be optional.

Besides the above, I really like JBoss, so keep up the
good work :)

Christian Holm

>Comment By: Alexey Loubyansky (loubyansky)
The default value for call-ejb-store-on-clean is now true.