I finally figured out how to resolve this problem once and for all.  In my last
posting, I mentioned that deleting the JBoss server directory and replacing it
with a fresh copy worked for me.  I reproduced the problem on anther PC and was
able to understand exactly how to resolve this issue.

Eclipse generally uses a JRE and when I added J2SDK1.4.2_03 to the list of
"Installed JREs", it automatically adds "\jre" to the directory name.  For
example, if you set the "JRE Home Directory" to C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03, the path
Eclipse will use is C:\j2sdk1.4.2_03\jre\lib.  If this is the case, tools.jar
is not added to the system libraries to use.

To add tools.jar, perform the following steps:

- In Eclipse, select "Preferences" from the "Window" menu.
- Expand "Java" from the tree and select "Installed JREs".
- Select the JRE you are using and click the "Edit" button.
- In the "Edit JRE" dialogue (yeah, I'm Canadian, we spell it like this),
uncheck "Use default system libraries".
- Click on the "Add External JARs..." button and open tools.jar from your SDK
directory.  This will add the tools.jar file to the system libraries to use.

Once you redeploy your ear and view the jsp page, JBoss will now be able to
compile the jsp because it has access to tools.jar.

I hope this posting is able to help the people having this issue because it
sure caused me a lot of headaches.

--
Steven Ercolani

View the original post :