Here's my negative opinions (Andrew, apologies in advance, but it's a genuine
set of opinions):

- This project has no planned architecture (let alone design). It desperately
needs one.
- This project does not have genuine selling point other than that it is "the
same old mail services only this time on JBoss" (yes, I have read "the case for
mail services")
- This project is too unfocused in deployment of effort and feature delivery
(for instance, the integration with Nukes bit - that's way too early to be a
target)
- If I see another custom, application-specific user/group management
implementation I am seriously going to scream!
- It's dangerous (even suicidal) to tie an enterprise application to tiger just
yet. For most big enterprises 1.3.1 is still a "standard" JVM.
- No lessons seem to have been learned from the experience of Apache James (the
big draw for me in James was the ability to write Mailets, but it failed
evaluation for much the same reasons as mentioned above and that have been
previously posted in this thread).

So what to do?

Scott says "step up to the wire". The question is - what's the reward for what
would be a major time investment.  That should be made clear first.

In the meantime, my initial feedback on the "overall vision" side would be:

- Decide first and foremost WHAT DOES THIS PROJECT GIVE AN ENTERPRISE OVER AND
ABOVE SENDMAIL etc or EXCHANGE? Find the single line answer to that question
that is sufficient to convince anyone whether commercial or technical.
- Focus first on user/group management and figure out how to reduce
dependencies to the point where it is NOT destined to be an inextricable module
of the mail services.
- Deliver the IMAP so that a webmail interface could be built.
- Steal the mailets idea from james - yes, even the source as a start point.
- Look forward a bit and realise that you must ditch ejb2 entity beans and
build on ORM (hibernate) - later provide an ejb3 implementation for java 5 when
people actually want it
- Drop any other integration effort for the time being

Well, that's my 20 cents.

/k1

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3857882#3857882