Ok,
now I am pretty sure of what the problem is. JBossCache does not properly
garbage collect objects that are replicated through the network and that
replaces an already existing object in the local cache. The existing local
cache object that is being replaced by the remote PUT is not garbage collected.

We have four caches in our setup, A, B, C, D. We describe the status for cache
A after the first iteration using an object sA1. We PUT that object after every
iteration into A using the same key ksA.

Iteration 1:
A updates status -> A(ksA,sA1) replicated to => B(ksA, sA1), C(ksA, sA1),
D(ksA, sA1)

Iteration 2:
A updates status -> A(ksA,sA2) replicated to => B(ksA, sA2), C(ksA, sA2),
D(ksA, sA2)

After iteration 2 the local object A(ksA,sA1) is probably correctly gc:ed,
since if we run this test in local mode the cache works reliably. The remote
objects B(ksA, sA1), C(ksA, sA1), D(ksA, sA1) however seem not to be correctly
gc:ed since the cache constantly eats memory when running in replicated mode.

If we turn off the status replication, i.e. the repeated PUT of the status
object A(ksA, saN), the cache works like a charm. The only difference between
the two test cases is the PUT.

(BTW, I am not using all of the jars in the distribution, only the ones that
are needed to actually run the cache. I don't think it should have any bearing
on this but nevertheless I'll list the ones that I am using:)

jboss-cache.jar
jboss-system.jar
jboss-jmx.jar
jgroups.jar