Interesting question,

I think that

- when <expiration-cache> tag is set to 0 in portlet.xml, it would make sense
that this is the default setting

- when expiration-cache > 0, I'm not sure. I guess you could still have this as
default, forcing the cache mechanism in the portlet container to be used also
when back and forward buttons are used. The drawback would be extra roundtrips
for pages where the local cache still is valid. (There is also a META
HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES"  tag, but I'm not sure how well it works on different
browsers). See http://www.i18nguy.com/markup/metatags.html for a list of useful
metatags.

regards
jan ole