- Refactor the Message class hierachy.   I would like to see if we can have a
single represenation of a Mail for the whole system.  'Mail sources', e.g.
Protocols, Mailboxes, other services (Fetchmail) could use a standard set of
factory methods to create mail objects (one that takes a set of properties,
another an input stream etc).  At the very least I would like to push more
functionality up the hierachy and see it reused across the protocols and
mailboxes.

- Revisit NIO.  In order effectively use NIO we would need to modify protocol
to work in a manner that does not require a 1:1 correlation of threads to
connections.  My suggestion would be to not change the existing Protocol but
introduce a new protocol class (NIOProtocol?) that would work in a non-blocking
manner and use channel/buffers rather than streams (or possibly our own I/O
abstraction).  Then as we introduce new protocols (IMAP, MAPI...) we use the
NIOProtocol as the base class.  Also allow the services using the old protocol
to run side by side with newer services and migrate them as time dictates.  The
one issue is supporting JDK 1.4 and SSL together.  We could use a adaptor to
allow newer protocols to work with the existing Server as it is possible to
create a Channel from an InputStream.  It won't be as scalable as the NIO
implemenation but wouldn't significantly worse than the existing system (you
end up with an extra layer of buffering between the channel and the stream).
It would just give users/customers the option of making the system more
scalable if their infrastructure allows.

Mike.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3875161#3875161

Reply to the post :