I'd suggest something like the following strategy:

* Add this backport to the thirdparty
* Allow projects currently under development to use it, e.g. JMS, MC
* When those projects confirm it is usable worry about porting
old code using oswego

The idea being that people doing development are more likely
to investigate any problems and don't have to worry about changes
in semantics between supposedly similar classes.

Additionally, there are already two abstractions:

org.jboss.util.threadpool wraps pooled executor
org.jboss.util.CollectionsFactory allows the concurrent set
impls to be modified

There are no current abstractions for things like synchronizedBoolean
or the locks/semaphores.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock