That would kick ass...

Still, I think we should become Maven contributors and extend Maven to do this.

Adrian Brock wrote:
The problem I don't see addressed (and the main reason why I started
the jbossbuild prototype) is to have a top level which includes
multiple projects.

e.g. I wanted people to be able to do something like:

<build>
   <component name="JBossAS" download="binary" quality="LastGoodTests">
      <component name="EJB3" download="source"/>
   </component>
   <component name="Seam" download="source"/>
</build>

This would checkout the last binaries for JBossAS that passed the
testsuite (except EJB3 which is latest source) and also Seam.

You would then be able to build a Seam environment with just the
EJB3 and Seam sources.

i.e. the developer only has to worry about the problems with the
stuff he is working on, rather than figuring out why something
unrelated doesn't compile/work.

Instead, the jbossbuild project morphed into a mechanism to download thirdparty binaries with buildmagic still used for the main build.