> Do we guarantee client-server compatibility between different
> JBoss revisions?

After JBoss 4.0.2 & 3.2.8 we try to guarantee interoperability with
previous (4.0.0/4.0.1) versions.

> In other words, is a client using 4.0.1 client jars
> guaranteed to connect without problems to a 4.0.4 server?

In this case the 4.0.4 server will need to use
-Dorg.jboss.j2ee.LegacySerialization due to serialization differences

> How about the other way around (4.0.4 client jars to 4.0.1 server )?

Again in the client use -Dorg.jboss.j2ee.LegacySerialization

> How about different minor versions (4.0 and 4.1)?

4.0.2+ should be able to speak to 3.2.8 using
-Dorg.jboss.j2ee.Serialization on the 3.2.8 side
4.0.2+ to prior to 3.2.8 version (e.g. 3.2.7) unlikely to work.

I believe the goal primarily is to maintain interop between point
releases (x.0.0 and x.0.1), and "try" to maintain interop when the minor
version changes (e.g. x.0.0 and y.2.0)