I thought I would clarify because my lost post sounded rather jerkish.
(sorry).

I am not disagreeing that code stability is not a higher priority.

What my point is, is that the concept of facilitating updates that
minimize the downtime of an application is not flawed. I see your point
in that the added complexity makes software stability harder to achieve,
but that is an implementation issue (our job to make sure it works
well).

Also, there are also ways to build a good methodology into the software.
For example, there is no real reason why pulling a node out of a load
blancer pool, and deploying a new application has to be two manual
steps. Although, it could be argued that deploying to every system at
the same time is risky, so in that case you could design a tool that
would allow the administrator to step the deployment process through
each node. In this way they can verify that everything is still ok after
each update. This type of management is very reliable and very
predictable, because there is still some human intervention.

-Jason

Ryan