According to Justin Forder:

> Sebastien Alborini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I think the logging process is too complex (four levels, Information
> >Error Debug Warning), and few people use this complexity in jboss code.
> >I would propose only 2 levels:
> >- Information-Error always printed
> >- Debug-Warning printed only if debug flag is true, this flag would be a
> >parameter of ConsoleLogging (or Logger?), and could be toggled through
> >jmx (let's advertise localhost:8082 !)
>
> (1) They are not levels - you can choose any combination.
>
> (2) They seem about right to me. We need a common policy, but just from
> the names this is how I would interpret them:
>
> Information - stuff like progress info (e.g. server startup complete)
> [incidentally, if you turn off all categories right now, you will see
> when InstantDB starts, and when the server shuts down, but you don't get
> any info about when startup is complete]
>
> Error - something bad that will affect your ability to run your
> application
>
> Debug - information logged to help people to understand what is going on
> in the server
>
> Warning - something that the user should be aware of, but which is not
> preventing the application from operating. This might be use of a
> deprecated feature, or a check that the user really understands the
> implications of their settings, or a message saying that the server has
> placed a particular interpretation on incomplete or ambiguous settings.

You're forgetting another thing - the units where the information has been
originated. Sometimes called channels, or facilities.

Suppose you have all your application tested and the log categories turned
down only to display the critical stuff, and you introduce a new module that
has to be traced and debugged thoroughly. Do you turn on the debugging logs
for all the application or just this module?

Suppose further you have many threads issuing identical log messages. How do
you know which thread has logged what?

Suppose you have many objects issuing identical log messages. How do you
know which object has logged what?

> Justin Forder

--vt