I think the whole thing is caused by misuse of the file-open dialog
box.  When you want to open an existing ejb-jar.xml you need to select
the file in this dialog and then change the file type to 'EJB 1.1 XML'
from it's default, jBoss XML.  If you want to edit a jboss.xml or
jaws.xml you still need to select ejb-jar.xml in the dialog but then
change the file type to the appropriate type.

This seems kinda counter-intuitive to me.

Tom