Hi Ingo,

There is no automatic time-out mechanism in J2EE that you could
adapt for use in a pessimistic locking scheme. One possibility
might be to store leasing information along with check-out
information. When a conflicting client tries to obtain a lock, the
existing lease could be examined for validity.

I'm not sure what you mean by using stateful session beans to
organize entity beans like leased resources.

-Dan

P.S. I probably should have mentioned before that optimistic
locking is generally a more favorable approach except in situations
where the optimism is unjustified--i.e. high contention for the same
data; or in situations where backing out a transaction has high
costs--e.g. a lot of work is done during "client think time."