> On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Rickard Oberg wrote:
> > Because of the way RMI works.
>
> Gee, you're soooo helpful.

Why, you're welcome <g>

If you want the gory details you could always pre-order my upcoming RMI book
through Amazon!

(sorry, had to ;-)

> > Several objects can use the same socket listener within the same VM.
> > Otherwise you would have one server socket per object, i.e. requiring
> > one port per object. Now that wouldn't be too good would it...
>
> I was wondering if you/anyone knew enough about how RMI works that
> we could make it work the same way even with different VMs.
> If that's not an option, let's move the selected port to a
> configuration file (jboss.properties seems reasonable) so you could pick a
> different port for a different server on the same machine.

The best solution is to have socket factories configurable, with port nr
configurable and with the default set to 0, i.e. simply pick a free one.
That will make it trivial to run several instances on one server, yet have
the option of setting a fixed one for firewall-friendly operation.

Makes sense?

/Rickard