Thank you James for your email. I reinstalled jboss and it now shows that
sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver is loaded. I added the following lines to
jboss.conf

<MLET CODE = "org.jboss.jdbc.DataSourceImpl" ARCHIVE="rt.jar"
CODEBASE="../lib/ext/">
<ARG TYPE="java.lang.String" VALUE="jdbc:odbc:my_dsn">
<ARG TYPE="java.lang.String" VALUE="my_dsn">
<ARG TYPE="java.lang.String" VALUE="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver">
<ARG TYPE="java.lang.String" VALUE="sa">
<ARG TYPE="java.lang.String" VALUE="">
</MLET>

rt.jar was not there in the lib/ext so I copied it from jdk1.3. I also made
the corresponding changes to jaws.xml according to the documentation.

There is a lot of confusion about using the jdbc odbc bridge. In the guide
it recommends not to use type 1 drivers where as there is adocument about
configuring for this situation. It does not make sense. Has anyone ever
tried it successfully?

Regards,

Ali