Title: RE: [jBoss-User] jboss, tomcat and cocoon

Hi Anders!

We are also using the jBoss/Cocoon/Tomcat combination. And we had the same problem as you had and solved it in the same way.

When it comes to performance I have been able to acheive response times of around 1 second.
My configuration is as follows:

* Pentium III 500 Mhz, 256 Meg
* Windows 2000
* Oracle 8.1.6i Personal Edition (This process takes about 50 Meg alone)
* Tomcat 3.2 (Running with separate classloader, but in the same process. The EmbeddedTomcat config should be much faster)

* Cocoon 1.8
* jBoss 2.0 FINAL, with a configured ConnectionPool for Oracle
* Xerces 1.2.1 XML Parser

The transaction I am running goes through the following chain:
-Invokes a Cocoon Producer that,
-invokes an EJB method that retrieves data from Oracle (Using the Connection Pool) and returns a XML DOM Document
- the DOM Document is then transformed by XalanXSL to HTML and returned to the Browser

Please observe that it does not take 1 second on the first invocation (The first invocation is generally MUCH slower, maybe even in the order of what you experienced).

This is due to several things:
- The Connection Pool is extremely important and it seems to need to be initialized
- Cocoon needs to pre-compile the XSL
- All Classes need to be loaded in the VM

I haven't used XSP, but my spontaneous guess is that your slow response time is due to the XSP compiling. Try to invoke

the URL a second time and see what happens.

MVH,

gustav boström

the eon company
www.eoncompany.com