on the other hand, a fellow developer on the mailing list might help you
much faster than a support service representive.
I'm talking from experience.
The reason , for example, that I am using jBoss rather than Oracle JServer
as my ejb server (inspite of the fact that I am a member in the Oracle
Partner Program ...) is :

A. I tend to believe that open source quality is higher than commercial
products ! (When comparing, for example, Apache and Oracle Application
Server (OAS). After long time of problems with OAS, we have replaced it with
Apache and it was MUCH BETTER. moreover, Oracle's new application server
(IAS) is "powered by Apache" - they put their own OAS in the trash !).
I guess the reason for that might be that open source developers do it as a
hobby, rather than a job their being paid for, and if you do something for
yourself and for fun, its quality is higher than something you do for your
bos or for the company that employes you.

B. (and this is more relevant...) answers I got from jBoss mailing list ,
and other open source mailing lists , such as Velocity, came must faster
than answers from Oracle support, for example.

Shahar

P.S.

I'm not complaining about Oracle. I still think that Oracle is a GREAT dbms.
Its their byproducts that suck. (sorry for the language :-) )