Title: JBOSS and Oracle

I have been struggling with getting some BMP beans to work against Oracle. I
appreciate the help that others have provided, but I am slowly being
convinced that JBoss 2.0 final will not support BMP if Oracle Foreign Keys
are involved. We have even done some testing against the latest CVS code
with no luck.

Consider the Java Pet Store app, which folks have struggled to port to
Jboss. It has an Orders EJB which has a dependent object class LineItems.
The code does an INSERT against the orders table and then an insert against
the LineItems table. Each Insert is in a separate method and each obtains a
database connection from the DB pool. In essence, this is the exact same
model that my code has been using, except that I have been using separate
EJBs for the dependent classes.

I've considered the following courses of action.

1) Use another DB (Our preferred DB is Oracle, so that is a no-go)
2) Use another EJB server (None of them are free and show promise like
Jboss)
3) Refactor my four entity beans, into a single monolithic entity bean. In
essence this is the EJB 2.0 approach of having course-grained entity beans
with dependent classes. The problem is that I would still have multiple
methods, that each would obtain a connection from the DB pool, use it, and
then release. The OrdersDAO and OrdersDAOOracle code in the pet store is an
example of something that I would create. In effect, I don't think this will
work, because the Oracle datasource is not returning a connection that can
see the previous work. Taking this approach is still a poor usage of the
connection pool mechanism that the EJB server is providing.
4) Dropping the Foreign Keys in Oracle. Leads to integrity options.

As it stands right now, I don't have a really viable option. I want to use
EJBs to encapsulate my database logic, but I am unable to make it work. I
have been trying various solutions to this problem for seven days now.

Any ideas on how I can get my stalled effort moving?

Thanks, and I apologize for my frustration. I think we've all been where I
am at one time or another.

Dave

Dave Bolt
There is always plenty of bandwidth, just none for you.