Ämne: Desgign question: Configuration properties
Datum: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:40:53 +0100
Från: Lennart Petersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Företag: Benefit AB
Till: A mailing list for Enterprise JavaBeans development
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi! We have a rather large EJB application where we have a need to
configurate behavior by using some kind of configuration properties.

History:
Up till now this has been resolved by using a client.properties file on
the client and by using a runtime.properties file on the server. The
runtime.properties file was a solution supported by the EJB server that
we started with (Ejipt).

Now we are moving towards EJB 1.1 and primarly JBoss and WebLogic as EJB
servers.

We has to change our strategy for handling configuration properties.

Our demand on the solution is following:
* There is a base setting for all properties
* Properties should be updateble by some kind of userfriendly GUI app.
Still they are quite stable over time.
* It should support the possibility to override some/all of the base
properties
  * On a company level (Several companies running on the same EJB
server)
  * On a physical client level (Handle physical client unique properties
- like which COM port to use...)
  * On a user level (Handle user unigue properties - like preferred
language...)
* The properties will be needed by the standalone client application and
by EJB components
* Open and based on standards
* High performance (of course :)

Possible solutions:
* Store i in ordinary tables in database that will be querried using an
EJB component
* Use XML in some way. How/where should it be stored
  * XML file on disk on server
  * XML file stored as BLOB in database
  * XML generated from ordinary tables in database
* JNDI, using some kind of LDAP solution

How should the properties be distributed to the standalone client
application and the EJB components?
One thing to remember is that the EJB components has to take to account
that the caller (user and/or physical client) may affect the properties
to use. User is no problem to figure out but how to find out which
physical client called?

Many questions/thoughts but i hope this will start a fruitful thread :)

/Lennart
--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.benefit.se/english