The column layouts are great and used in many portals.  Some implementations
that I recall also had the concept of 'wide' and 'narrow' column widths and
allowing a portlet to pre-define itself as a 'wide' portlet or a 'narrow'
portlet to coincide with the layout.

By allowing the layout identifers like column width and allowing portlet
designers to pre-define the expected size/scale of their portlet will allow
users to auto-render their own page much quicker, simpler, and more effectively
(with probably better results).

I would even borrow from some of the desktop UI's the 'docklet' idea of small,
square portlets with just minimal graphical or textual information (i.e. CPU
usage, mem, have-new-mail, network latency, etc).

So, to summarize: Column width identifers for layout managers and allowing
portlet designers to pre-define their portlet's intended width.

---narrow--- ------wide------- -docklet-

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3965852#3965852

Reply to the post :