Hi All,
I was able to start a process from a standalone java client by following the
given steps:-
1. Migrated JBPM Database schema to Oracle 10g using the given oracle script.
2.Redeployed the jbpm-console.war by making changes in the
jbpm-console/web-inf/classes/hibernate-cfg.xml file to redirect the application
to the oracle DB.
3. Executed the following piece of code-

  | jbpmConfiguration = JbpmConfiguration.parseResource("default.jbpm.cfg.xml");
  |             JbpmContext jbpmContext=jbpmConfiguration.createJbpmContext();
  |                             GraphSession
gpsession=jbpmContext.getGraphSession();
  |             ProcessDefinition
pdef=gpsession.findLatestProcessDefinition("<process-name>");
  |             System.out.println("PROCESS DEFINITION ID" + pdef.getId());
  |             ProcessInstance processInstance = new ProcessInstance(pdef);
  |                             Token token = processInstance.getRootToken();
  |             token.signal();//starts a task
  |             jbpmContext.close();

Thanks,
Soumya.