Thank you all for the reply.

kukeltje, my understanding from the document is that "mail" is an action and
"mail-node" is a node? Also, here "mail" does work fine in event, but just not
valid in timer.

anuragpaliwal, are you saying you implemented this with "mail" or
org.jbpm.mail.Mail? I suppose it's the later. The following code works fine
using org.jbpm.mail.Mail:

<state name="resolve-issue">
  |             <event type="node-enter">
  |                     <mail name="notification"
  |                             to="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
  |                             template="notification">
  |                     </mail>
  |             </event>
  |             <timer name="timer-reminder-1" duedate="5 seconds">
  |                     <action class="org.jbpm.mail.Mail">
  |                             <to>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</to>
  |                             <template>actor-reminder-1</template>
  |                     </action>