Thank you for the info.

I have numerous requirements for "daemon" processing. Watching a directory for
files, copying the files, making SOAP calls to a web service, querying/updating
the database. Walking a file system and creating a Lucene index. Etc. This
processing needs to occur on a regular basis.

The way that I am doing this today is with regular MBeans, packaged in a SAR in
an overall EAR application, which manage  threads using
java.util.concurrent.Executor framework. The threads are started via the JMX
lifecycle methods (start/stop). Works great.

Unfortunately,  JBoss Tools for Eclipse does not support SARs as a module in an
EAR. Therefore, I'm interested in using @Service beans as a replacement for my
plain MBeans for my daemon processing, as I move to JBoss Tools for development.

Portability is not a requirement. This only needs to work on JBoss.

Would it be OK to do mostly the same with @Service beans as I'm currently doing
with plain MBeans? Threads are created/destroyed in the JMX lifecycle methods,
as before. The threads would access resources as required to do their work.
Only, if they needed to access DB resources, they would call an EJB - perhaps
the @Service bean itself.  The threads in essence would be the "driver" for the
daemon processing, accessing all non-EJB resources directly, and delegating DB
access to EJBs.

Or, is there a better way to handle this kind of daemon processing?

Thanks,
Jon

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4151185#4151185