Well, I finally had some time to delve into the source code.  I searched the
source code for JbossAS, Jboss-Messaging, and Jboss-Remoting.  I did not find
the root cause (EXACTLY), but I did find a solution.

POSSIBLE ROOT CAUSE:

>From searching inside the source code, I see that almost all of the host
>name/address translation occurs using (2) different methods in the java.net
>package.

InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName() - contains my full server name
InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress() - contains 127.0.0.1

As already described in the last posts, it seems that Jboss on my Test server
seems to be using the first method, and my QA server seems to be using the
second method.  There are many areas in the source code where a choice is being
made about which one to use.  However, I could not isolate the one that was
causing the problem.  Given that I have a solution, I am not sure that it
really matters.

SOLUTION:

In searching through the Jboss-Messaging code, I found the code that parses the
remoting-*-service.xml files.  The class is
org.jboss.remoting.transport.Connector.  There is a method inside that class
that parses the xml:

private void getInvokerConfig(Map invokerConfig)

There is some logic in that method that lets you (sort-of) override the
"serverBindAddress" default.  If I add an attribute to the XML file of
"clientConnectAddress" and use my server name as the value, I can get the
desired behavior.  The jboss.bind.address will still be 0.0.0.0 and the ports
will be open to remote clients.  Also, my clients WILL NOW receive
my.server.name in the serverLocatorURI.

In summary, my commandline will open the ports for remote clients like so:

run.sh -b 0.0.0.0 -c messaging

And my (2) new lines added to my remoting-bisocket.xml will ensure that the
serverLocatorURI will be correct for the remote clients:

balin.flpi.com
4457

Rich

View the original post :